Posts Tagged ‘world war one’
Getting close to being done now. Still a few obvious bits to be done, and I think I have to re-do the face of the man drinking from the canteen. All the faces need more colour I suspect, maybe they should be pinker? Still struggling to come up with a good title as well, any suggestions would be very welcome!
Faces are not getting any easier to paint. At first I thought these weren’t too bad, now I think they’re just too flat-looking and colourless. Grr!
Sketched this out today in raw umber. It’s another one from my late grandfather’s book. Nice to be working on a larger scale.
I think this one has turned out reasonably well. I’ve taken some liberties with the original photo, left a few things out to simplify the background, and of course the colours are a product of my imagination. The face doesn’t really look like a portrait of the French soldier in the book either; I really do need to do a lot more practice on faces, especially the colouring.
Last update of the weekend.
And so we approach the tricky part – painting the face. Hmm. This is from a photo of a French soldier in World War One, carrying wooden crosses for temporary graves. The photo is in a book that belonged to my late grandfather, ‘The First World War’. Interesting that it was titled that, as it was published in the early 30′s.
Burnt sienna, white and ultramarine blue.
This one wasn’t working at all before as part of a planned triptych, and it was within a hair’s breadth of going in the bin. I thought I’d have one last stab at it though, and so gave up on the transparent paint and let loose with some titanium white and burnt sienna. Seems to have made quite a difference. It still won’t work in the triptych, but now I think it has a chance of surviving as a stand-alone painting (unless I make a hash of it before I finish, which is still very much a possibility…)
The name will have to change now as well. I’ve got something in mind, but won’t make a final decision until the painting’s done.
Had another crack at the second part of this triptych just now. It was way too red before, so I put a wash of burnt sienna over it and then picked some of the structures out again in a mix of transparent oxide red and ultramarine. Looks better than it did, but still isn’t really working for me. I may tinker with it a little more and see if I can get a finished painting out of it, but I can’t see how it will be possible to match it to the ‘Church’ painting in tone and style. The triptych will probably have to be re-started from scratch; I think the best way of doing it is to work on all three paintings at the same time, as it relies on them all having the exact same look and feel.
On a side note, I had a message earlier from someone who bought one of my paintings, saying that “it makes me smile”. Made my day!