Obviously, I changed my mind about adding some smoke and steam to this one. Glad I did, I think it gives the scene a bit more life.
It’s the weekend, allegedly, so managed to get a little more done to this one. I was tempted to say I’m reasonably chuffed with the progress so far – but managed to resist (?) Not a great photo as the paint’s still too reflective, but you can see where it’s going. Used a limited palette so far – black, white, cadmium red and yellow ochre – not sure if I’ll be able to finish without adding some more colour though.
This one was finished today (when I should really have been out painting from life). But I wanted to get it done and dusted, so…
There wasn’t an awful lot to do, in fact. I removed one of the telegraph poles, since they appeared to be too evenly spaced across the painting – a bad habit of mine, worked the left hand side buildings some more, added a couple of marker posts alongside the tracks (possibly a mistake, still not sure about those), and finally deepened the shadows of the buildings immediately next to the cement wagons.
Now I need to think of a decent title for this. Suggestions welcome!
Bit of an update. Spent an hour or so on this last night. Probably not too much left to do to this one now.
Had a call a couple of days ago for a (very) short notice show, starting on 15 May and running for a week at the Southfields Gallery. As I’m already showing in two others this coming week, I’m using this as a chance to exhibit some stuff that’s barely even dry yet! The gallery is about a two-minute walk from Southfields tube (District line) at 223 Wimbledon Park Road, SW18 5RH. I believe there will be a private view next Saturday evening, drop me a line if you’d like to go.
Apart from bubble-wrapping and delivering sundry paintings, it’s been a busy week in general, but I was determined to do a bit more to the latest piece, and here it is. Working from a photo I took in Arizona with my brother-in-law Dan last year.
Think I’m going to call this one finished. There’s always a temptation to keep tweaking this and that, and all of a sudden you realise that you’ve made a complete hash of it…
Reasonably pleased with it. As ever there are lots of things I would change / attempt to do better if I could start over again. But I think the drawing is ok, fairly accurate, and the background colour has worked out well; I’ve deliberately painted thin in places to allow it to show through. It’s also apparent in a couple of parts of the sky where I let the knife-work leave some of the ground showing through.
I’m still experimenting a lot to try and find the style that suits me best, but I think this is a move in the right direction. Let’s see where the next one takes me.