Speed trap

Outside the Casa Paolina, Lucca.  Oil on board.  8 x 10.

Outside the Casa Paolina, Lucca. Oil on board. 8 x 10.

 

Evening geraniums, Barga.  Oil on board.  8 x 10.

Evening geraniums, Barga. Oil on board. 8 x 10.

 

Pania Secca.  Oil on board.  11 x 14.

Pania Secca. Oil on board. 11 x 14.

Just back from the annual trip to Tuscany.  Got a few rather mediocre paintings done.  Still have some more time off work so will be trying to get a few more under my belt, and hopefully pull the standards up a bit!

Artefacts

Untitled. Oil on canvas. 40 x 50 cm.

Untitled. Oil on canvas. 40 x 50 cm.

Managed to get a much better photo this time (and without using the colour card, balance checker thingumajig), the colours here are pretty close to reality – at least on my screen.  Pending any comments from the subject, I think this one is finished.  So that’s one of my 52 target for 2016 out of the way!  Unfortunately I appear to be a week behind the drag curve already…

Pleased with how this one has turned out.  Not sure if the face really looks like who it’s supposed to be a painting of, but it least it looks human.  Here’s a closer look at the face

Close-up detail of figure.

Close-up detail of figure.

Onwards and upwards!

Something new

Red wall. Oil on panel. 9 x 12.

Red wall. Oil on panel. 11 x 14.

Some more plein air painting. Didn’t turn out quite how I envisioned it, but then they rarely do. I tried a couple of new techniques with this one, or at least ones I don’t often use. First was to use some liquin, particularly for the dark background and then in some of the greens. That worked out quite well. Second was to paint the sky in last – I have problems with the trees and so on picking up the sky colour otherwise. I don’t think that one worked quite so well.

Work detail

Work detail. Oil on stretched canvas. 10 x 14.

Work detail. Oil on stretched canvas. 10 x 14.

I think this one has turned out reasonably well. I’ve taken some liberties with the original photo, left a few things out to simplify the background, and of course the colours are a product of my imagination. The face doesn’t really look like a portrait of the French soldier in the book either; I really do need to do a lot more practice on faces, especially the colouring.

Pro Patria Mori

Church.  Oil on canvas panel.  8 x 10.

Church. Oil on canvas panel. 8 x 10.

Taking a short break from the New York painting and have made a start on something that I’ve been meaning to do for a long time. This is the first painting in what I intend to be a triptych based on photos of the First World War. The photos are in a book that belonged to my late grandfather, who was a medic in WW1. Obviously the photos are in B&W, so I thought it would be interesting to try to paint them using a very limited palette, not something I’ve done before. This painting is only just started of course, so far I’ve used a wash of burnt sienna to tone the panel and then sketched in the initial drawing with transparent red oxide. This is entirely experimental for me, hopefully I will be able to make it work…